Survey reveals must-have home features
A walk-in closet and fireplace are among some of the top amenities homebuyers are looking for in their dream home, according to a recent survey from Homes.com American Dream survey.
Homes.com gathered 455 responses from the site’s database of more than 2,000 people. Of the 455 responses, more than half opted for a detached single family home with less than one percent choosing a duplex.
Almost half of the respondents would choose to live in the country in a four bedroom, three bathroom home with more than 2,000 sq. ft. Top amenities include a walk-in closet, en-suite bathroom and fireplace.
“Compared to desired in-home amenities from a decade ago, the amenities chosen here prove that Americans are opting for convenience with choices like sun rooms, basements and screened-in porches topping the list of specialty rooms,” the report stated.
As for the ideal second home location, more than 35.4 percent chose a “peaceful lake-front cabin” with the “Caribbean villa” coming in second at 34.3 percent.
Highlights of the survey include:
- 74.3 percent of respondents ideal home is a detached single family home
- 39 percent picked the countryside as their ideal location
- 43 percent prefer four bedroom homes
- 43 percent want three bathrooms
- 77.9 percent chose a walk-in closet among their top amenities
- 44.6 percent prefer a screened-in porch
- 30.2 percent say a deck is a must-have feature
To view a complete summary of the American Dream Home survey results illustrated as an infographic , visit blog.homes.com.